NYS HCR – COVID Rent Relief Program

NYS Homes And Community Renewal Announces Expansion of COVID Rent Relief Program Through February 1, 2021

* If you have already applied previously you DO NOT have to reapply to receive consideration

HCR will accept new applications through Monday, February 1, 2021

The COVID Rent Relief Extension Program will provide eligible households with a one-time rental subsidy that will be sent directly to the household’s landlord. Applicants will not need to repay this assistance. The COVID Rent Relief

Extension Program is not first come, first served. Applications will be accepted throughout the application period. HCR will prioritize eligible households with “greatest economic and social need."

For the next round of applications, tenants will have to meet all of the following criteria:

  • Must be a renter and have a primary residence in New York State;
  • Applicants must have lost income during the period of April 1, 2020 to July 31, 2020;
  • Before March 7, 2020, household income must have been at or below 80% of the Area Median Income, adjusted for household size; and
  • Households must be “rent burdened” during the months they are applying for assistance between April 1, 2020 to July 31, 2020.

Applications are available on the COVID Rent Relief Program portal on HCR’s website here: https://covidrentrelief.hcr.ny.gov/

Throughout the application period, residents who need help or have questions about their application can contact HCR’s COVID Rent Relief Program Call Center for assistance at 1-833-499-0318 or covidrentrelief@hcr.ny.gov.

Call Center representatives are available Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. Please do not contact Gallagher Property Management regarding your application status.

Other resources that may benefit in rental assistance are also listed below:

City of Rochester – Emergency Rent Assistance

Please note; the City of Rochester partners with local agencies to administer rental arrears assistance programs.

Are you eligible?*

  • You are a renter;
  • You have lost income due to the COVID-19 pandemic;
  • You are in immediate danger of eviction, homelessness, loss of housing, or utility shut off; and,
  • You have household income at or below:
Persons in Houshold 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Maximum Income 42,800 48,900 55,000 61,100 66,000 70,900 75,800 80,700


Gather these documents:

  • Proof of current income;
  • Lease, other proof of current housing situation;
  • Proof of current housing emergency (ex. 14 Day Notice to Pay or Quit, Shutoff Notice,
  • verification of homelessness, etc.);
  • ID and Social Security Numbers for everyone in the household.

What to do next:

1. Call for help: Call Catholic Family Center’s Rent Assistance call center at 585.232.2050 to get started, or call 2-1-1 for other resources.

2. Go to scheduled appointment, if needed.

3. Outcomes: Once a complete application is submitted and reviewed, you may be approved for assistance or found ineligible for assistance.**

4. If approved, payment is issued: Payments are made directly to landlords.

Learn More: www.emergencyrentROC.org


DHS COVID-19 – Information and Facts


Our goal is to make sure we meet the basic needs of our families during this uncertain time.
Additional information can be
found beneath this FAQ.


Should I pay my rent?

  • Yes, your rent is still due. It has not been cancelled. If you cannot pay your rent or mortgage right now, you will not be evicted during the moratorium. But all your rent is still due, and eviction may start after the moratorium ends, if you have not caught up on your rent. For information on rental arrears assistance available, please call 211.

Can I get more help with food?

  • Yes. You can still apply for SNAP, or for WIC benefits. Both programs are open NOW and can help provide healthy food for your family. Apply online.
  • Yes. If you have school-age children who receive free or reduced price lunch, NYS is issuing Pandemic-EBT. Click here for more information. You can also visit https://www.otda.ny.gov/programs/snap/ or call 1-800-342-3009.

What about my RG&E bill?

  • 2020 – 2021 HEAP opens Monday, November 2, 2020. If you are a Monroe County resident and facing an emergency situation such as a shut-off, denial of service, or are out of heating fuel, please come to our walk-in office at 111 Westfall Road during Normal Business Hours to be screened for Emergency Assistance. If you are currently receiving Temporary Assistance, please contact your worker directly at (585)753-2750.

For those who have general questions, please call our information and appointment line at (585) 753-6477 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

How about cash assistance?

  • Yes. You can get temporary cash assistance, too. Call 585-753-6960 to have an application mailed to you.

I need help applying for benefits.

  • Many local organizations can still help you. You can find one by dialing 2-1-1.